Sunday, June 12, 2016

Time is spelled L-O-V-E

Photo credit: www.swiss-miss.com
Runners come in many shapes and sizes but the single best way to measure a runner is in the unit of time. Ask any runner and they will tell you what their personal best time is at a certain race distance.  In a gathering of runners, your time is expectedly going to be part of the conversation.  Recently though, I changed how I would talk about time. In the shuttle bus that takes runners to the starting line I was asked by a fellow runner what my time goal was for the marathon, I answered, “My goal? My goal in this run is to have the most fun!”

While the amount of time is important, what we do with it is what matters most.

Recently I was devastated by the news of the passing of my friend’s wife from breast cancer.  When his wife was still on treatments, I called my friend and promised to pay them a visit. I had the time but I was never able to make that visit. I felt distraught and asked myself why did I just not do it when I had the time.

In the last 2 months, I attended 3 memorials for people I know.  All of them reminded me about a very basic lesson in time. Time is spelled as L-O-V-E.  Take the time to visit a friend in need.  Smile at a stranger.  Give someone a nice compliment.  Hug your kids or your spouse if you haven’t hugged them in a while. Say I love you to your significant other and explicitly say how much you mean to them.  And many other ways – big or small – to use the time you have to love.


If we were all runners in this race called life, standing at the finish line, God will not ask us – what was your time? Instead God will ask – how much did you love?


How can I pray for you today? For a loved one who is sick? A friend or family member who just passed away? Traveling? Send me a message. Post it here or post on my Facebook Page http://www.prayingrunner.com/. You can email me too at prayingrunner@gmail.com. 

***Here's praying in a special way for victims of the mass shooting at Orlando, FL.***

Also please follow me on my "Road to 50" - My goal of running 50 marathons by age 50 years old. I'm on Marathon #42 and will be running #43 in the San Francisco Marathon on July 31st 2016. I expect to run #50 in 2018 at the Napa Valley Marathon. I'm looking for 50 runners who want to join me and celebrate my 50th.

2 comments:

  1. This is so touching and so true :). Don't regret your missed visit to your friend's wife; she is in Heaven and knows of your good intentions. Blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mụn rộp sinh dục được biết đến là loại bệnh nhiễm trùng đường sinh dục vô cùng nhiều hiện giờ, nó được xếp nhóm bệnh lây nhiễm qua đường tình dục, truyền nhiễm phần lớn qua đường tình dục. Các trường hợp ít là mắc nhiễm từ mẹ sang con, lây lan gián tiếp qua đồ dùng trung gian. Mụn rộp được chia là 2 tuýp là tuýp 1 và tuýp 2. Tuýp 1 gây bệnh ở miệng, chân tay, mắt...Tuýp 2 là gây bệnh ở vùng sinh dục. Hiện tượng của bệnh là sinh ra các nốt Mụn rộp, có chứa đầy nước, vùng da xung quanh bị ứng đỏ, tập trung chủ yếu ở bộ phận sinh dục và khu vực miệng, khoang miệng, má, cằm, bẹn, mông... Mụn rộp thường mọc thành từng mảng to, khi vỡ ra sẽ gây viêm loét, đau đớn cho người bệnh. Mụn rộp sinh dục hiện này chưa có thuốc đặc trị, thành ra việc khắc phục tình trạng bệnh chủ yếu là khám chữa thay thế bằng một số loại thuốc kháng sinh phù hợp tổng hợp với một vài loại thuốc bôi chống viêm nhiễm bên ngoài. Được coi là bệnh xã hội nguy hại, có tốc độ lây nhiễm cao lớn và nhanh chóng. Bởi vậy, mọi người hãy luôn phải cẩn trọng và xây dựng ý thức trong việc dự phòng bệnh, để bảo vệ sức khỏe của chính bản thân và gia đình mình.

    ReplyDelete